If you are interested in a career in marketing within New York choose
from the resources below.
|What is the Industry like in New York?|
|What are the Major Firms?|
|What are Salaries like in New York?|
|What School Programs are Available?|
New York Marketing Job Industry
Almost 90% of all marketing positions in New York are found in New York City. To understand the magnitude of the marketing industry in New York, consider that even at the height of the recession in 2009, there were 33,000 marketing professionals working here whose combined salaries came to $3.3 billion. New York City remains the strongest advertising and marketing hub in the country, and is home to 12 of the nation’s 15 biggest marketing firms.
In 2009, marketing firms in New York City generated $7.7 billion in revenue. During the same period, one in 5 marketing jobs in the US could be found here, according to the NY State Department of Labor. As home to one of the world’s leading corporate and cultural centers, New York has attracted some of the most talented and creative minds in the marketing business.
|New York Job Statistics|
Any analysis of the business climate in New York must start with an understanding of the huge portion of economic activity that is concentrated in New York City. In 2011, while New York State had a gross state product of $1.158 billion, NYC had a gross metropolitan product of $1.090 billion, which accounted for 94% of all economic activity in the state. New York City is the source of 8.6% of the nation’s GDP and is home to 6.4% of the total American workforce. New York’s gross state product (GSP) rose 2.2% in 2010 and has continued to rise at an accelerated pace, serving as an indicator of post-recession economic recovery for the nation. (US Bureau of Labor Statistics)
New York City is a barometer for the global business community, and globally, expectations for growth in the marketing and advertising industry are very positive. According to the Nielsen Company, global ad spending rose 4.3% in the first quarter of 2012, as compared to the first quarter of 2011. Zenith Optimedia predicts that global ad sales will continue to rise 5.2% in 2012 and 2013.
Marketing Firms in New York
All of the major US-based and global marketing companies have a strong presence in New York City, and 12 of the 15 largest US-based firms are actually headquartered here. Some of the most noteworthy based on annual earnings reports released in recent years include:
- OmniCom Media Group is the 28th largest company in New York City and ranks 195th among all US companies. The company generated $12.542 billion in revenue in 2011, and has 65,300 employees worldwide.
- Interpublic Group of Companies is the 37th largest company in NYC and the 355th largest in the US. The company generated more than $6.5 annual revenue in 2011, and has more than 41,000 employees worldwide.
- Zenithoptimedia is the third largest media specialist in the world. The company generated $28.4 billion in revenue in 2010.
- Mindshare is the world’s fourth largest marketing company, generating $27.7 billion in 2010.
- MEC Global is the 7th largest marketing company in the world, earning $23.8 billion in revenue for 2010.
- Horizon Media had stated earnings of $2.6 billion in 2009.
- Universal McCann earned $16.8 billion in 2010 and is ranked 8th in the world.
- Initiative Media earned $12.4 billion in 2010.
All of the major professional organizations for marketing professionals have branch offices in New York City.
- Business Marketing Association of New York City
- American Marketing Association of New York
- Society for Marketing Professional Services in New York
Advertising and Promotions Manager Salary
As of 2011, a total of 5,180 advertising and promotions managers were employed in New York, many of which held employment in Long Island and White Plains. They had an average statewide salary of $144,210, which was an average of $69.33 per hour. Top earners in the 90th percentile averaged more than $187,199.
Market Research Analyst Salary
As of 2011, there were an astounding 32,180 market research analysts and marketing specialists employed in New York. They had an average statewide salary of $72,540, which was an average of $34.88 per hour. Top earners in the 90th percentile earned $43,880 more at $116,420 on average.
Marketing Managers Salary
As of 2011, there were 10,640 marketing managers employed in New York, many of which held employment in the Wayne and White Plains areas. They had an average statewide salary of $163,480, which was an average of $78.60 per hour. Top earners in the 90th percentile earned more than $187,199 on average.
These tables provide salary and employment information compiled by the US Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics in May 2011. The data contained herein does not include self-employed marketing professionals.
* These figures represent earnings that are at or above $90.00 per hour or $187,199 per year. The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not publish earnings beyond $90.00 hourly or $187,199 yearly.
Marketing Degrees in New York
Almost all marketing positions require at least an associate’s degree in a field related to marketing. There are more than a dozen brick-and mortar campuses within New York City associated with universities offering marketing programs that confer everything from associate’s degrees to doctorates programs. Most of these schools have campuses in other areas of the state as well.
Among the great public and private colleges in New York are many online and campus-based schools offering marketing programs. Here is a list of a few that might meet your educational criteria in New York: